What is a Comprehensive Plan?
As defined by the American Planning Association, a comprehensive plan is a long-range policy document that addresses a wide variety of interconnected social, environmental, and economic topics; provides legal, political, and logical rationale behind a community’s development and settlement patterns; and shapes long-term decision making for a jurisdiction over a 20-year time frame.
Why is the City Preparing a Comprehensive Plan?
In 2012, the City of Rock Island was awarded a grant from the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity to prepare a forward thinking comprehensive plan that promotes the following sustainability principals:
- Provide more transportation choices.
- Promote equitable, affordable housing.
- Enhance economic competitiveness.
- Support existing communities.
- Coordinate policies and leverage investment.
- Value communities and neighborhoods.
In addition to meeting grant requirements, the Rock Island comprehensive plan will serve as the official guide for future community growth, development, and policy direction over a 20-year time frame. The plan will also:
- Identify priority strategic investment areas and locations appropriate for development and preservation over the next 20 years.
- Direct housing and economic investments in the City.
- Recommend appropriate types of land use for specific areas of the City.
- Identify needed transportation and community facilities to serve future residents.
- Preserve natural, cultural, and agricultural resources in and around the City.
Once adopted, the plan will function as a blueprint for City staff and local decision makers to help them achieve long-term community objectives.
Listed below are links to the documents prepared to date as part of the comprehensive planning project. This list will include draft plan documents, meeting summaries, and other reports prepared by City staff and the consultant team.
- Comprehensive Plan 2014-2034 Public Review Draft 2.25.2014
- Strategic Economic Development Plan Draft Dec. 31, 2013
Comprehensive Plan Summary Posters
How Can I Participate?
The City is seeking citizen input in the planning process. Over the next several months, the City will be conducting several community involvement activities to work with residents to re-imagine Rock Island’s future, communicate what they believe to be the most pressing issues, and help prioritize what issues should be addressed now and in the future. You can also click on our blog link to comment.“Community feedback is extremely valuable to have during the early stages of a planning process. We encourage residents to take advantage of this opportunity to share their thoughts and opinions about the present and future state of our City.” – Mayor Dennis Pauley