East Dundee is a small suburb about 40 miles northwest of Chicago and in close proximity to suburban employment and retail centers in Hoffman Estates, Schaumburg, and the Randall Road corridor.
Vandewalle & Associates was hired to address two main concerns within the Village: the possibility of losing major retailers in its core commercial area and the stagnant downtown and riverfront district.
Vandewalle & Associates began in 2005 with the preparation of an Opportunity Analysis covering the entire Village that identified and prioritized redevelopment areas and regional development opportunities. Since then, we have prepared multiple area plans and lead several implementation initiatives.
The Opportunity Analysis addressed the Village’s concerns with economic development strategies to retain and replace the Village’s sales tax base and strategies to revitalize its historic downtown. This process uncovered latent economic opportunities that build off the nearby regional retail and employment centers in two key areas: the Downtown, the the Route 25 Commercial Corridor.
- Creating numerous tax incremental financing and business development districts
- Defining the Downtown Culinary District as a strategy to revitalize the downtown, which has culminated into multiple new restaurants and events
- Redesigned the Depot Square plaza to provide a unifying central feature of the downtown
- Preparing detailed land use plans for potential development sites and recruiting developers and businesses
- Working with developers to prepare PUD applications
- Identifying potential funding sources for redevelopment and preparing successful applications for transportation improvement projects
- Developing marketing materials and assisting with marketing strategy
- Working with a major downtown property owner to eliminate blight, rehabilitate historic buildings, and secure new tenants